A grand jury has charged him with shooting at a Buffalo supermarket

Read Time:4 Minute, 33 Second

A white man accused of killing 10 black people at a supermarket in Buffalo briefly appeared in court on Thursday after a grand jury charged him with first-degree murder. Assistant District Attorney Gary Hackbush said the indictment of 18-year-old Peyton Hendron had been handed down. Wednesday. The suspect, dressed in an orange prison uniform and mask, was silent for one minute of the trial, which was attended by some relatives of the victims. He is being held in prison without bail. In New York, prosecutors can charge a defendant with first-degree murder only in special circumstances, including if several people were killed in one incident, such as a shooting at Buffalo. The only charge against Hendron covers all 10 deaths at the supermarket. A total of thirteen people were shot dead on Saturday at the Tops Friendly Market in the Buffalo area, mostly black. Authorities continue to investigate allegations of hate crimes and terrorism. The 18-year-old was conducting a live broadcast of the attack from a helmet camera before surrendering to police near a grocery store. Shortly before the attack, he posted hundreds of pages written in online discussion groups, detailing his plans for the attack and racist motivations. Investigators are studying these documents, including a private diary he kept on the Discord.At chat platform. his initial appearance in court last week, appointed by the court’s attorney for the accused who fired, pleaded “not guilty” on his behalf. He is due back in court on June 9. The massacre at the Tops supermarket has caused alarm even in a country that is almost numb from the mass shootings. All but two of the 13 people shot during the attack were black. The suspect’s online writings say he planned the attack after he became fascinated with the ideology of white supremacy he encountered online. Video: Social media was examined in the Buffalo investigation. The diary says the teenager planned the attack secretly, unaided, but Discord confirmed Wednesday that an invitation to access his private writings was sent to a small group of people about 30 minutes before the attack. Some of them accepted the invitation. It was unclear how many people read what he wrote or logged in to watch the attack live. It was also unclear whether anyone was trying to warn law enforcement. Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said investigators are working to obtain, verify and verify the suspect’s messages online. New York Gov. Katie Hochul on Wednesday authorized Attorney General Leticia James to investigate the social media platforms used by Gendron to determine if they are responsible for “providing a platform for planning and promoting violence.” Video: Hochul signs gun order after Buffalo

A white man accused of killing 10 black people at a supermarket in Buffalo briefly appeared in court on Thursday after a grand jury charged him with first-degree murder.

Assistant District Attorney Gary Hackbush said the indictment of 18-year-old Peyton Hendron was filed Wednesday.

The suspect, dressed in an orange prison uniform and mask, was silent for one minute of the trial, which was attended by some relatives of the victims. He is being held in the pre-trial detention center without a written undertaking not to leave.

In New York, prosecutors can charge a defendant with first-degree murder only in special circumstances, including if several people were killed in one incident, such as a shooting at Buffalo. The single count against Hendron covers all 10 deaths at the supermarket.

Thirteen people were shot dead Saturday at the Tops Friendly Market in the predominantly black Buffalo area. Authorities continue to investigate allegations of hate crimes and terrorism.

The 18-year-old was conducting a live broadcast of the attack from a helmet camera before surrendering to police near a grocery store. Shortly before the attack, he posted hundreds of pages of articles in online discussion groups detailing his plans for the attack and racist motivations.

Investigators are studying these documents, including a personal diary he kept on the Discord chat platform.

During his initial appearance in court last week, a court-appointed lawyer for the accused who fired pleaded not guilty on his behalf. He is due back in court on June 9.

The massacre at the Tops supermarket has caused alarm even in a country that is almost numb from the mass shootings. All but two of the 13 people shot during the attack were black. The suspect’s online writings say he planned the attack after he became fascinated with the ideology of white supremacy he encountered online.

Video: Social networks checked Buffalo’s investigation

The diary said the teenager planned his attack secretly, unaided, but Discord confirmed on Wednesday that an invitation to access his personal writings had been sent to a small group of people about 30 minutes before the attack.

Some of them accepted the invitation. It was unclear how many people read what he wrote or logged in to watch the attack live. It was also unclear whether anyone was trying to warn law enforcement.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said investigators are working to obtain, verify and verify the suspect’s messages online.

New York Gov. Katie Hochul on Wednesday authorized Attorney General Leticia James to investigate social media platforms that Gendron uses to determine if they are responsible for “providing a platform for planning and promoting violence.”

Video: Hochul signs gun order after Buffalo

Source by [author_name]

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
Previous post Experts say there is “no evidence” that teens aged 5 to 11 need the vaccine.
Next post Flash News • Fountain City • CivicEngage