Los Angeles hit-and-run driver who hit mom and baby pleads free of sentence DOTRAN

Read Time:7 Minute, 9 Second

A California A teenager convicted of hitting a mother and her eight-month-old baby in a horrific hit-and-run last year has asked for early release despite being sentenced to just seven months in a juvenile probation camp.

As the 16-year-old driver is scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles court at 9 a.m. Thursday to enter a plea, the young mother expressed outrage that District Attorney George Gascon did not notify her of the hearing.

“I’m still incredibly disappointed in the justice system in Los Angeles, but I’m not surprised to learn that I’m once again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the legal process,” the mother, identified only as Rachel, said. Fox News Digital‘F— George Gascony.’

Rachel said she expects the boy’s next hearing to be Nov. 8, near the end of his sentence of just over six months, which she believes was too short to begin with.

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon’s office — long known for criticizing criminals in the name of progressive reforms — sought a softball sentence in the prosecution of a 16-year-old who was drunk and driving a stolen car. .

A California teenager convicted of hitting a mother and her eight-month-old baby in a horrific hit-and-run crash last year is asking for early release after being sentenced to just seven months in a juvenile detention center.

While the 16-year-old driver is scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles court at 9 a.m. Thursday to enter a plea, the young mother expressed outrage that Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon did not notify her of the hearing

While the 16-year-old driver is scheduled to appear in a Los Angeles court at 9 a.m. Thursday to enter a plea, the young mother expressed outrage that Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon did not notify her of the hearing

Horrifying footage of the incident on August 6, 2021, showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a pram around the Venice neighborhood when the car headed towards her.

She tried to get off the road in a narrow alley, but the car drove in her direction and hit her and the stroller, throwing her over the top of the car and hitting the child.

As terrified onlookers ran to help, the driver sped up – stopping only when a pickup truck blocked him.

During his sentencing in June, it was decided that the teenager, known only as KB, would serve his sentence in a “juvenile probation camp” rather than a juvenile detention center.

Rachel spoke in her victim impact statement about the devastating impact of the teenager’s actions – who had drugs in his system at the time but was not drunk.

“I thought these were the last moments of our lives; we were dead,” she wrote.

“That feeling, and the memory of the car driving right into us, will haunt me forever.”

She described in vivid detail the terrifying moment he lunged at her and her baby.

“When the car approached me and my baby, I stopped and moved the stroller and myself to the building on the right side of the road to make sure we gave the careless driver plenty of room to pass,” Rachel said.

“When the car got dangerously close to us, KB turned the wheels in our direction and accelerated in an attempt to kill us.”

“I was also told that his record will be expunged when he turns 18,” she continued.

“How can this be? He tried to kill two innocent pedestrians. Murder. And we have video evidence. My child would be dead if I wasn’t there to protect him.’

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon's office -- long known for criticizing criminals in the name of progressive reforms -- sought a softball sentence in the prosecution of a 16-year-old who was drunk and driving a stolen car.

The incident made headlines in June after Gascon’s office — long known for criticizing criminals in the name of progressive reforms — sought a softball sentence in the prosecution of a 16-year-old who was drunk and driving a stolen car.

The Gascon office told Fox News the sentence at the youth camp was an “appropriate ruling”.

“The sheriff’s department agreed to the felony charges.

“During arraignment, the juvenile pleaded guilty to two counts of using force likely to result in serious bodily injury and one count of hit and run.

“The Probation Department recommended, and the court sentenced the juvenile to a youth camp for five to seven months, the appropriate ruling.”

They say, juvenile justice is designed to “rehabilitate young people.”

“In this case, this youth will be held accountable for his actions and will receive the necessary services to promote positive development to prevent future offending,” the office added.

“I’m still incredibly disappointed in the justice system in Los Angeles, but I’m not surprised to learn that I’m once again being denied my rights as a victim to participate and use my voice in the legal process,” the mother, identified only as Rachel, told Fox News Digital, “F— George Gascon”

Horrifying footage of the incident on August 6, 2021, showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a pram around Venice when a car came towards her

Horrifying footage of the incident on August 6, 2021, showed Rachel pushing her son Charlie in a pram around Venice when a car came towards her

Still, Rachel remained furious.

“I have never been more surprised or disappointed, and in fact, never felt more victimized by the system and current policies of the Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon,” Rachel wrote.

“It breaks my heart to think of all the other victims less fortunate than me, whose killers receive lenient sentences and are released from prison before their sentences are served.”

She added: “George Gascon does not value my life, my child’s life or any other victim and will favor monsters like KB by showing them that their actions have no consequences.

“The Gascon district attorney is telling him and all the other thugs in Los Angeles County that it doesn’t matter if you’re trying to kill people.

“Why does Gascony politics prioritize the livelihoods of rotten monsters when my child, my child who is unable to defend himself, is left to fend for himself and is essentially told his life doesn’t matter?”

Gascony, 68, was elected in November 2020 but has proven highly unpopular for his progressive policies, which critics say is soft on crime.

In August, the recall petition fell just short of the 567,000 needed to put the proposal on the ballot, while accumulating about 520,000 names.

George Gascon’s History of Condescension

December – The Gascon tried to remove two previous “strikes” in the case of a mother accused of murdering her daughter. Akira Keuchel Smith, 36, has been charged with murder, child abuse and torture in the August 2020 death of four-year-old Eternity Smith.

January – Hannah Tubbs, 26, pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl in the bathroom of a Denny’s in Palmdale, Calif., in 2014 when she was 17. Gascon said she should be tried as a juvenile — and Tubbs was caught on jailhouse tape bragging about Gascon’s lenient sentence. In February, he admitted it was too soft.

Hannah Tubbs is pictured in their November 2021 booking photo

Hannah Tubbs is pictured in their November 2021 booking photo

February – Gascony admits that the policy he was elected by – the ban on life imprisonment in murder cases – was not always correct.

– Former Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck has withdrawn his support for Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon, joining a chorus of law enforcement officials and victim advocates who have expressed concern over what they see as Gascon’s anti-crime policies.

May – On May 3, 23-year-old Isaiah Lee attacked Dave Chappelle on stage. Lee was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, and Gascon chose not to prosecute Lee for the crime. They said that while criminal activity had taken place, they believed it “wasn’t a crime” but only a misdemeanor. Chapelle’s lawyer said he was “disappointed” by Gascontz’s decision.

The California parole board has recommended for the first time the release of Charles Manson follower Patricia Krenwinkel. Krenwinkel, 74, had previously been denied parole 14 times for the 1969 murders of pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four others. However, for the first time, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office did not attend the parole hearing to object to Gascon’s policy that prosecutors should not be involved in deciding whether inmates are ready for release.

June – A California appeals court has ruled that Gascony cannot order prosecutors to ignore the state’s three-sentence law, which can increase prison terms on criminal charges.

– Gascon’s office is asking for just seven months in a “juvenile probation camp” instead of a juvenile detention center for a 16-year-old who nearly hit a mother and her child while driving a stolen car while under the influence of drugs

September – A 16-year-old teenager, who ran over a mother and her baby, has a petition for early release from a juvenile detention center considered.

Source by [author_name]

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
Previous post Three women were hit by an airsoft gun while eating at a Fresno fashion fair, police said
Next post Children’s World brings talented youth closer to the taste of the soul – Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel